On Wednesday, March 26, I did a presentation on bone broth—its health benefits, traditional preparations, and uses—at our local Providence, RI Weston A. Price Foundation chapter meeting.
I was joined by Patrick Beck of New England Grass Fed, who spoke about rotational grazing strategies, animal health supported by forage-based diets, the nutritional profile of grass-fed beef, and more.
The event was held at Laid-back Fitness in Warwick, a primal/play/natural-movement-focused training center.
- Introduction by WAPF chapter co-leader Rachael McCaskill of Rachael Bakes (:00)
- Vanessa Query’s first experience with bone broth (:38)
- Vanessa on the health benefits of bone broth (1:49)
- Patrick Beck on New England Grass Fed’s mission statement (4:00)
- Patrick discusses ruminants and the history of cattle domestication (4:50)
- Raising animals with respect to their natural design on the land that sustains them (9:40)
- Patrick shows off his brisket (12:40)
- Group discussion: Ryan McGowan on how he shops for meat, “Meet The Natives” (16:10)
- How to be responsible omnivores (18:20)
- Patrick: quality meat is more expensive, but can go further with thrift cuts and recipe support (22:12)
- Vanessa on traditional preparations of bone broth (26:54)
- Patrick: more on economical uses of higher-quality meats (33:20)
- Labels on animal products: what do they mean? (e.g. grassfed vs. 100% grassfed) (34:10)
- How do we have good eating not be elitist? (39:09)
- Using meat as garnish, for fat soluble vitamins to increase bioavailability of plant nutrients (40:30)
- Vanessa: uses for bone broth: soups, sauces, gravies, roasting, braising, froached eggs, drinking it like tea, and more (43:15)
- Save money with bulk purchases, find friends to go in on half an animal (52:43)
- Where to get Pat’s meat (1:03:30)
- The cost of running standalone freezers (1:08:38)
- And now, the broths! (1:10:20)
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="242634"] [shareaholic app="recommendations" id="14114887"]
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.