I’ve been experimenting with making lavender lemonade since I heard about it pretty recently. It’s such a yummy combination, and perfect for what will no doubt be a stiflingly humid New England summer.
In addition to being delicious, the health benefits of this drink are pretty sweet (NPI):
- Lavender is a great soother; it helps you to relax and sleep well (source). I have also heard it boosts creativity.
- Lemons detoxify and cleanse the blood, activate enzymes, and help our body store vitamins and minerals (source).
- The enzymes in raw honey (which are killed when heated too high) act as a digestive aid and an energy booster. Raw honey will also help you with those dreaded seasonal allergies. The more local, the better. (source and source)
- Water hydrates (source)!
So without further ado, here’s how to make your own lavender lemonade:
- 1 tablespoon of lavender flowers
- 2 cups of water
- 2-3 lemons
- another 2 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of honey (ideally raw and local)
- Stir the lavender flowers into 2 cups of water. Let it steep overnight, either at room temperature or in the fridge. Strain out the lavender flowers. Here’s the finished lavender tea with the rest of my ingredients:
- Roll the lemons with some pressure to release their juices. Juice the lemons. I use a juicer, to make sure I get all the juice possible out of them.
- Add the lemon juice to the lavender tea. Add the rest of the water. (I like mine pretty mild; experiment to find out how you like it.)
- Add the honey. Stir it, with vigor. It will dissolve. It’ll take a few minutes, but it will dissolve.
- Keep testing to see how sweet, lemony, or lavendery you like it!
I’d love to hear your version. Next up, I’m going to figure out how to make it with lavender oil.
(Shared with Party Wave Wednesdays.)
[shareaholic app="share_buttons" id="242634"] [shareaholic app="recommendations" id="14114887"]
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please note that I only ever endorse products that are in alignment with my ideals and that I believe would be of value to my readers.